Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Muppets and Sesame Street

This coming October brings a lot of changes for my family and I as me and my husband are expecting our first child! Everyone is over the moon and I'm getting real excited. I can't wait to start setting up her room!

Thinking about the the baby has me reminiscing often about my own childhood and what I grew up with. Today I was thinking about how I used to love Sesame Street - and I still do. Actually, anything having to do with the Muppets is a favorite.

I've always wanted to own an authentic Muppet (or at least a pretty good replica). I remember years ago, FAO shwartz had a certified replica of Kermit the Frog. It was waaaay too much money so I decided to make my own Muppet. He's small, easy to make and not so well known, but he IS a Muppet. He's Slimey the Worm.



Slimey the Worm (also simply known as Slimey) is a light and dark orange striped worm that is the pet and friend of Oscar the Grouch on Jim Henson's Muppet show Sesame Street... His small size does not affect his attitude of being one not to wince at the sight of extreme activities. As Lou Berger, head writer for Sesame Street, put it, "Slimey shows viewers that even the smallest creature can be the most heroic, and that's an important thing for kids to see." Slimey is not only the pet of Oscar the Grouch, but also the only character with whom Oscar admits being friends and liking. Slimey is said to bring out the best in Oscar. The friendship between the two is understood, where they do not express their feelings for each other but act in a manner which shows their strong relationship. Oscar likes Slimey because they share common interests like the love of rain, mud, and soil, and the fact that Slimey doesn't talk to him when he is trying to sleep. The two do many things together, including taking mud baths and just hanging out." - Excerpt from Wikipedia

Here is my Slimey and a picture of him with a caption from the book, "Sesame Street Unpaved" by D. Borgenicht 1998.



I always laugh at the scene in Muppets Take Manhattan when Kermit is diagnosed with Amnesia. But it was only confirmed after he was poked, prodded, twisted and legs turned behind his head. Hee Hee.
Here's another favorite I've come to appreciate as an adult. It's hilarious! Janice always gets the best one liners. (You may have to click the play button twice). Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to make my own Slimey muppet. Would you please share with me how you made yours?

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!