Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Melaluka Gang

When I was in elementary school, I was part of a small group of best friends. We called ourselves the Melaluka Gang. This name was supposed to be a combination of all of our names put together; although I think only MY name was really part of it - the other girls (club/gang members) were Porsha, Kimberley, Reena and Jasmine. So to this day, I don't know why we settled on the name "Melaluka" but everyone agreed it was the best fit.

Little stories and experiences like this are only part of what may inspire one of my art projects. For example, (here is a babbling peak into what goes on in my head).... before I even began the dolls I thought it would be cool to make dolls based on my children...or any children....with the cardboard structures like I made my kids....someone gave my boss a Charlie Brown Christmas tree... I've always liked the Charlie Brown illustrations....so maybe the dolls could look something like Charlie Brown....The Little Rascals came on TV the other day which reminded me of my gang of friends in elementary school....so maybe I could make a little gang of dolls....and they would wear some kind of "timeless" but classic outfits like in The Little Rascals....one would have pigtails like I always had as a kid...I looove overalls....those Shirley Temple dresses are so cute....etc....etc... And that is how the dolls came to fruition.

Here are Melvin, Lance, Lucy, and Katrina - The Melaluka Gang.


I will post more pictures for each doll separately later this month. Each doll comes with their own cardboard play structure and hat; all of which can be made by yourself for your own children at home. I will tell you how I made them and how you can too.

I've had a lot of fun making this little group of friends and I already have in mind the theme of my next set. I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!